Josh, Emily, Brook, Kristie, 40 Horse Cave, Nov 24, 2012

Monday, July 18, 2011

Live Your Goals with a Sense of Direction

First, check out this new song by Taylor Swift. I love the message and feel that she expresses it better than some of her contemporaries:


Next:

"Live Your Goals" was the theme to this years Women's World Cup competition for soccer. Now, I'm not much of a soccer fan myself, too much running and not enough scoring; but, from the beginning of the tournament I found myself home and glued to the TV watching the USA Women's Soccer team play. It was thrilling, down to the last penalty kick. So awesome to see such beautiful, STRONG women. I was impressed with their poise and agility accompanied with their physical grace as they ran up and down the field and I repeatedly thought, "I can do that." Not play soccer, per say, but run with such ease and grace. I'm on the path. I'm "Living My Goals."

Also:

I have been rereading a book about directing aptly named "A Sense of Direction" (which I always need). The author, an experienced and well respected director himself, shares his insight in ways that speak to my soul ("true self") more now than the first time I read it. Here are some of my thoughts (in italics) that derive from his thoughts:

"[a work of art] reveals Universe (God, Heavenly Father)."

"Art...awaken(s) the Spirit (light of Christ, Holy Spirit/Ghost/our own spirit)...A light (light!!) goes on within [the spectator] (because it's always been there) and the self is illuminated, awakened, enlightened, elevated, and changed." (Amen)

Art shows the "Beauty of Humankind".

"Consciousness"=I AM=THE BEGINNING... He writes about how our consciousness is tapped in a performance as we watch it and as the actor performs.

"The actor's power is limitless" OUR power is limitless.


I am still pondering these principles and seeing how they apply to my directing, school and life. I'll keep you posted as I study them further.

I would LOVE to hear your thoughts or ideas and impressions you had, if any, as you read the above quotes.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. I love those thoughts!!!
    Especially: "Art...awaken(s) the Spirit..." I agree with that. It is precisely why creativity is so important and why we should do everything we can to foster and develop it in ourselves and others!

    ReplyDelete